Topic: Funding Opportunities
New funding for Australian export projects
IHI: ammonia in the UAE & Malaysia, supporting start-ups
USDA to fund fertilizer production expansion
$7 billion in funding, new roadmap for the US hydrogen industry
More funding for ammonia energy: ReMo & Monolith
Skovgaard renewable ammonia project orders electrolysers from Nel
The consortium developing the Skovgaard ammonia project has ordered an alkaline electrolyser system from Nel, bringing the 10 MW plant a step closer to reality. Skovgaard will be an important test case for hydrogen production directly from renewable energy, with no battery storage or firming to be used.
In other electrolyser news, German-based Sunfire and US-based Electric Hydrogen have received new funding to develop their technologies. Also in Germany, Siemens and Air Liquide will join forces to develop a GW-sized factory in Berlin, with 3 GW of PEM electrolyser units to be manufactured annually by 2025.
Ammonia energy funding & acquisitions
Government funding for ammonia energy in the UK
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) will contribute to three ammonia energy projects via the latest funding round of its Net Zero Innovation Portfolio:
- The Tyseley Ammonia to Green Hydrogen Project near Birmingham, where a demonstration ammonia cracking unit based on H2SITE’s technology will be built to deliver hydrogen transportation fuel.
- The GreeNH3 project from Supercritical, ScottishPower and Proton Ventures to develop a renewable ammonia pilot plant based on Supercritical’s new electrolyser technology.
- And the Ammonia Synthesis Plant from Intermittent Renewable Energy (ASPIRE) project. Partners the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) and Frazer-Nash Consultancy are developing autonomous renewable ammonia production plants in the UK.
DoE funding for ammonia energy
As part of a new round of funding announcements, the US Department of Energy will contribute nearly $10 million to three significant ammonia energy initiatives:
- GTI Energy (a recent rebrand of the Gas Technology Institute) will develop a prototype ammonia-powered gas turbine.
- Raytheon will develop and demonstrate an ultra-low NOx emitting ammonia combustor module for gas turbines.
- And 8 Rivers received backing to complete a pre-FEED study for its CCS ammonia project in Evanston, Wyoming.